We’re big softies at heart and when it comes to Valentine’s Day there’s nothing we love more than creating sweet treats which can be shared with our Valentine. We’re sure that if your loved one is anything like us, these delicious, sweet macarons are sure to be the way to their hearts. So, flex your baking skills and surprise the one you love with these tasty treats.
Ingredients (makes 12 macarons)
100g ground almonds
125g icing sugar, sifted
60g caster sugar
2 egg whites, at room temperature
2 pinches cream of tartar
A few drops of red food colouring
For the Filling
60g butter, softened
80g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 150˚C
- Sift the ground almonds, do this 3 times to separate out all of the coarser grains from the fine then sift together with the icing sugar.
- Place the egg whites in a bowl and whisk until foamy then add the cream of tartar and continue to whisk, slowly adding the caster sugar. Continue to whisk until the mixture forms stiff peaks.
- Stir the almond mixture into the egg whites, add the food colouring and stir slowly to combine – the mixture should be smooth and shiny.
- Fill a 10mm-nozzle piping bag with the mixture, pipe twenty four, 4cm rounds onto lined baking trays and allow to rest for 30 minutes. A thin skin should form at this time.
- Place trays in the oven and bake for 12–13 minutes, remove, and allow to cool completely.
- For the filling, place the butter and icing sugar in a bowl and whisk together until evenly blended.
- Spread a little filling on 12 of the macarons, top with the remaining 12.
- Enjoy them with your Valentine
The Hickory Team