Our passion for the best filters through to the drinks we serve, from award-winning artisan gins to the finest wines. Sadly for us, that sometimes means we have to taste them ourselves…
Adam, Amber, Leanne and Lisa enjoyed a night led by two guest speakers – both very well-known and respected in the industry:
Patrick Halliday: owner of Raisin Social, Patrick been supplying Majestic with South African wines for over 25 years. Since its foundation in 1986, Raisin Social has become a pre-eminent provider of agency and brand-building services to wine producers throughout the world. They are proud to hold our current position of partnership with an outstanding group of wineries of international repute, and to be a core provider to major UK wine markets. Their emphasis is on provenance and integrity Real Wines from Real Places.
Jahann Krigge: owner of Kanonkop, an estate that has been handed down from father to son for over 40 years and is now in the talented, capable hands of its current owners. Kanonkop Estate is situated on the lower slopes of the Simonsberg Mountain in the Stellenbosch Region of the Cape and confidently boasts with some of South Africa’s most premium wines. It has also won numerous awards over the last three decades.
What did the team learn?
- The older the vine the better the wine, but the lower the yield
- Don’t worry if you can’t cellar wines due to space or budget – a great wine is great from day 1. If it’s not great on day 1 it can never become great!
What did they taste?
- Stonebuck Sauvignon Blanc 2015
- Ondine Chardonnay 2015
- La Motte Sauvignon Blanc 2015 2015
- La Motte Chardonnay 2012
- Beyerskloof Reserve Selection Pinotage 2014
- Kanonkop Paul Sauer 2011, 2003, 1995
- Kanonkop Pinotage 2012, 2006, 1999
- Kanonkop Cabernet Sauvignon 2005