You may remember the viral videos of the dolphins returning to the crystal clear water ways in Venice just a few months in to the Italian lockdown. At first, heart-warming to see, but in reality the return of these intelligent creatures highlighted what we already knew. Our waters are outrageously polluted. Our land is groaning under the weight of our single use plastics. Our atmosphere is suffocating. There is a climate emergency and we all need to take action.
One of our main business goals is to be a socially responsible, sustainable and ethical catering company. Investing in our teams and efficiencies to deliver the highest standards in these business areas and publicising the fact. To help us achieve this, we have a dedicated Green Team at Hickory with a representative from each business function. They work to drive our environmental objectives through the business and each department, bringing new ideas to help the business achieve its green goals and become more environmentally friendly and communicating with team members on new initiatives and best practice.
In addition, we’ve signed up to Tourism Declares, an initiative that supports tourism businesses, organisations and individuals in declaring a climate emergency and taking purposeful action to reduce their carbon emissions as per the advice from The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) to cut global carbon emissions to 55% below 2017 levels by 2030.
Like all signatories, we have committed to the following five actions:
- Develop a ‘Climate Emergency Plan’ within the next 12 months, which sets out our intentions to reduce carbon emissions over the next decade.
- Share an initial public declaration of our ‘Climate Emergency Plan’, and update on progress each year.
- Accept current IPCC advice stating the need to cut global carbon emissions to 55% below 2017 levels by 2030 in order to keep the planet within 1.5 degrees of warming. We’ll ensure our ‘Climate Emergency Plan’ represents actions designed to achieve this as a minimum, through delivering transparent, measurable and increasing reductions in the total carbon emissions per customer arising from our operations and the travel services sold by us.
- Encourage our suppliers and partners to make the same declaration; sharing best practice amongst peers; and actively participate in the Tourism Declares community
- Advocate for change. We recognise the need for system change across the industry to accelerate a just transition towards carbon-free tourism.
On top of this, we’re proud to say that sustainability is at the heart of everything we do and it’s something we’re known for. Our trophy cabinet on that front speaks for itself. Find out more about our commitment to the environment.